188.8.131.52 describe the purpose of CPU components, system bus and main memory
System bus (extended in grade 12)
Bus - microscopic parallel wires that transmit data between internal components.
The main bus is the SYSTEM BUS
Its actually made up of 3 separate buses, but when we join them together we can just call it the System Bus
System bus – the main highway connecting the CPU, the main memory and I/O controllers;
it is made up of a data bus, an address bus and a control bus.
Data bus - transfers data between the processor and memory.
Address bus - used to specify a physical address in memory so that the data bus can access it.
Control bus - controls the flow of data between the processor and other parts of the computer.
Address bus is unidirectional (signals travel in one direction only).
Data bus is Bi-directional (data can travel in both directions).
Control bus is regarded as being both unidirectional and bi-directional due to the internal connections within the computer architecture.
What is a computer bus?
- A set of parallel wires connecting independent components of computer system.
System bus includes …
- Control bus, Address bus, System bus
What is an I/O controller?
- I/O controller is an electronic circuit than one side connects to the system bus and on the other side connects to an I/O device.
Explain the role of the address bus, data bus and main memory
- Address bus - used to specify a physical address in memory so that the data bus can access it.
- Data bus - transfers data between the processor and main memory.
- Main memory - stores data and instructions that will be used by the processor.